The McDonnel Group
New Orleans, LA
Stucco, brick, cast stone, CMU block, cantilevered balconies, wood-framed windows and doors.
Scope of Services:
Façade assessment. Design of phased construction process for selected structural repairs, complete façade replacement, and window door replacement.
1) Quick identification of issues and development of working details allowed Contractor to establish order of magnitude pricing and preliminary schedule so that Owner could understand impact to available budgets and current tenants.
2) Design-Build approach allowed the Owner to avoid the lengthy procurement process, allowing quick repairs to dangerous issues.
3) Integrated design allowed pricing of the entire project yet accommodated necessary phasing to meet Owner’s use and budgetary requirements.
4) Construction oversight services to provide updates and documentation to the Owner that the project was being constructed in accordance with the specifications.
Water infiltration issues at the Papillon Apartments had caused damage to façade elements throughout the property. Mosaic’s client, The McDonnel Group (TMG), had been retained by the owner to replace existing windows and remove existing deteriorated wood balconies. Upon an initial site visit, TMG identified significant additional work associated with the façade which would require the project scope to be modified. Mosaic was retained by TMG to perform the following tasks:
1) Assist in prioritizing the initial scope of work to utilize the available budget
2) Develop the general construction details and material specifications to complete the repairs
3) Develop a schematic scope of work for the remainder of the façade systems. This allowed TMG to develop an overall construction budget for the owner.
Mosaic’s role included several site visits to review the existing construction and to provide consultation and comment throughout the work.
The project involved the replacement of windows and the removal of deteriorated wood balconies. The work included the replacement and restoration of waterproofing elements such as sheathing, flashings and damp-proofing, and of façade elements including brick, stucco, and cast stone. Mosaic played a key role in identifying water intrusion issues and developing construction details to address the problems.